How much data will be used for streaming?
This depends on the resolution you will choose, our Smoothstreamer app support resolutions from 240p to 1080 p.
Here is a breakdown with an estimation on the usage in different resolutions.
- 240p: 225MB per hour
- 360p: 315MB per hour
- 480p: 562.5MB per hour
- 720p at 30FPS: 1237.5MB (1.24GB) per hour
- 720p at 60FPS: 1856.25MB (1.86GB) per hour
- 1080p at 30FPS: 2.03GB per hour
- 1080p at 60FPS: 3.04GB per hour
- 1440p (2K) at 30FPS: 4.28GB per hour
- 1440p (2K) at 60FPS: 6.08GB per hour
- 2160p (4K) at 30FPS: 10.58GB per hour
- 2160p (4K) at 60FPS: 15.98GB per hour
These calculations are based on YouTubes data and has been calculated according to this.
For 480p video (standard quality), YouTube recommends a bitrate between 500 and 2,000Kbps. Let’s average these two extremes and use 1,250Kbps.
1,250Kbps (kilobits per second) divided by 1,000 gives us 1.25Mbps (megabits per second). Since there are eight bits in one byte, 1.25Mbps divided by eight equals roughly 0.156 megabytes per second of video. Multiplying this by 60 seconds means that 480p video uses around 9.375MB of data per minute on YouTube.
"9.375MB per minute times 60 minutes in an hour results in roughly 562.5MB of data per hour of YouTube streaming at 480p."